Now that cold comes it is time to warm up with some good hot dishes, for example a good vegetable soup!!!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus 1 cup for frying
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 Gala apples—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 3/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 small canned chipotle in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 yellow corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
How to Make It
In a medium soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook over low heat, stirring, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the apples and celery and cook for 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and water and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat until the fruit and vegetables are very tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in the chipotle.
Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and white pepper and return to the pot.
In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Heat the remaining 1 cup of oil in a medium skillet. Add the tortilla strips and fry over high heat, stirring, until crisp and golden, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Serve the soup in shallow bowls and garnish with the fried tortilla strips.